10 September 2014

Bluebells the Fool

Bluebells the Fool was named for the copper bells festooning his suit of motley, turned blue-green with verdigris over time. He rides a wooden zorse from town to town, where he's often warmly welcomed, with meat and mead his payment for such wonderful performances...
He never stays long though, and it's often found to be the case that one of the townfolk's children has wandered off - some say to follow Bluebells into a life of foolery, whilst others speak of darker acts...

I've always been a fan of this figure from the Warhammer Bretonnian range - I picked it up on eBay nice and cheap a year or so back. There's always been something a bit sinister about jesters for me, and the idea of a travelling fool that never overstays his welcome long enough for his crimes to be discovered... I've been listening to the A Song of Ice and Fire audiobooks whilst painting/modelling lately, and Shagwell the Fool stood out, with the following piece of fan-art sealing my next figure to be painted (and inspiring the paintscheme!). I also painted his hobby horse in the style of a zorse for another link to the Bloody Mummers.

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant painting. Everyvtime I see this figure I think of the Douglas Fairbanks Robin Hood. Should really get around to picking one up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and great that it has a story too.

    ReplyDelete