21 May 2013

Terrain - Arcane Ruins

Finally, the other main part of my fantasy terrain collection - the Games Workshop "Arcane Ruins" set.
I'd seen this set done in a similar style online, although I can't quite remember where - it may have been in some of the pictures for the Get the Girl, Kill the Baddies fantasy skirmish rules. It was the first time I'd seen the set and thought "Oh, that might not actually look completely plastic and childish if painted the right way..."
I left off the silly larger horned skulls as they were a bit chunky and undetailed and I split the set up into a few different bases. The pictures of the set on the GW site are terrible - all the pieces are clumped together as one base and it really doesn't highlight what a nice product it actually is! I used lots of filler on these in order to hide the seams. I also used a green wash as the final layer on the stone - it adds a lovely tinge to the stone.
I'm still pondering what to add to my overall collection to tie in with these pieces - I already have a bunch of jungle terrain that would fit with them perfectly. I also have some bare trees that are a part of my post-apoc project - I'm thinking about re-purposing these to add some woodlands to my terrain collection, plus perhaps some smaller ponds/marshland.

Comments, as always, would be lovely!

2 comments:

  1. You've done a nice job with this set.
    I like ti much better in this light earth-tone than the usual grey stone I see most often.

    Reminds me of the Barrow Downs area in Lord of the Rings Online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece of scenery! May I ask how you did the color of the stones?

    ReplyDelete