01 February 2010

Something finished...

I finally got around to finishing something:


I love this miniature very much. The detail is fantastic and it was lovely to paint, I took my time with it. Still painted my usual way, but using a white undercoat, which is unusual for me. I already have dark Imperial Marines, so these will be purposefully a good deal brighter than my Shadow Wraith Chapter, and given the recent rumblings and mumblings around the forums and blogs, a Blood Angels army (well, more of a "Force" - they won't be the size of my other Marines) may eventually be on the cards. That's after I finish a few projects anyway.

On the subject of coming projects, this is what I've been on with this weekend...


Warriors of Chaos, for Fantasy. I've had these hiding away for an age now - I'd originally purchased a few different eBay lots, to begin a small Possessed warband in Mordheim, sometime around 2 years ago. I did end up getting everything I needed...but also a little bit more. When I decided to start the army, I heard that the new army book was out soon and there would be a shake-up of sorts... So I waited, and the release of the Warriors and also the Daemons came and went. I'd always preferred Beastmen, but the new figures are absolutely horrible. In my opinion anyway - the Gors and Ungors are fine, if uninspired, the Bestigors are decent but shockingly priced, but the Minotaurs? Jeez. Horrible. Worst GW plastic kit in a long time. I absolutely loved the Skaven update recently, so GW really dropped the ball on the Beastmen update. Anyway... I recently finished reading some fantasy novels, including some of the Malus Darkblade ones, which I very much enjoyed, the second of which features a Nurgle-aligned Chaos enemy. It once again got the creative gears moving and having ground to a halt painting-wise on my 40k Marines, I decided to build some Chaos!

Through various eBay buys I've ended up with various chaos hounds - some are the first ones GW put out, some are the "Red Era" versions, others are more recent and some others are resculpted wolves from Heroquest (I think?). I'll probably increase their numbers with a box of the recent plastics which are quite nice!

This stand of warriors shows the basic theme I have in mind for them - normal warriors will have horn-less helmets, with horns/spikes jutting from the shoulder furs. Whether the spikes are bony growths from the warriors themselves or just from the furs will be left up for the beholder to decide...

I currently have a WIP test mini, the current plan is for a pale flesh-coloured armour, followed by a wash of Devlan Mud, rusty metals and fluid leaking from armour joints and suchlike. Dark brown cloak and darker fur. Maybes red symbols on various armour plates.

Banner bearer with the Beastmen Gor banner arm and a 40k Nurgle banner top. I may replace the banner top, as I wasn't planning on having them actually be Nurglesque...


Last but not least - can anyone suggest a head for this sorcerer? He (along with another) was an eBay buy a couple of years ago. His compadre was of the same range, and received a flaming head (from an Empire wizard piece) and a metal claw to replace one of his arms - one of my favourite conversions I've ever done and yet still unpainted!

Thanks for reading, and thanks to my followers! Which makes me sound oddly like a cult leader? Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment