19 February 2021

Dunbarr Torok, Ogre Bounty Hunter


I’m in the process of collecting a whole bunch of classic ogres from GW and other sources - this began with a couple of figures for various warbands and has spiralled into lots of different ogres that I may one day use as an army in Age of Sigmar or Saga: Age of Magic! This is the Ogre “Bounty Hunter” sculpted by the one and only Jes Goodwin for Games Workshop somewhere around the year of my birth (1986). It also happens to be one of my favourite miniatures of all time! 


I love the various details - to begin with, his clothing is just superb - a multi-textured mix of fabrics, leather, furs and chainmail. He is the epitome of hardened veteran, with heavily weathered and patched equipment that I imagine he is massively comfortable with the usage of. He grips the severed head of his latest target, dripping fresh blood onto the ground below himself.


One leather glove covers the hand currently gripping his main armament, a massive sword that only an ogre-sized creature could lift, never-mind use successfully! The notches in the blade of the sword suggest that it is well used and it is backed up by a wicked dagger that would be a longsword in the hands of a human.

Speaking of human hands, he has a couple of them hanging from his various pouches - I like to imagine that these were taken as some kind of punishment - perhaps a bounty was posted to take the hands of a thief? 


Finally, a note on the paint scheme - I went for a dark scheme overall that seemed to suit the mood of the figure, with a dark green as the main colour of the fabric of his hood. I wanted to clearly show off all the pouches, trinkets and trophies and I think the dark main colour helps with this. As a final touch on the details I added a bunch of small tattoos on his glove-less hand and lower arm - I imagine that he has served in some mercenary companies and these are mementos of battles where he was first over the wall or had a particularly notable kill...


Getting there! I have even more to post about soon!

2 comments: