I thought that I'd give some close-up shots of the bases. I decided that I needed a bit more on them, other than the lovely grass tufts - to that end, I had a look online for newspapers from the Batman films and wanted posters
TDKR Bane's base - this is a wanted poster for Batman, which I thought suited the figure very well after the final events of The Dark Knight. I saved the image to my laptop and then pasted it into a Word document and rescaled it to a number of different sizes, which I then printed to see which would best fit the base. I cut out the best one with scalpel, distressed some of the edges and then applied it to the base with slightly watered PVA.
This was a newspaper with a headline along the lines of "Harvey Dent Joins Race for DA" - I followed the method noted above and glued it to the base.
This was another newspaper - in this case, the headline was "BATMAN saves whole family". Once the glue on them was dry I then washed them with Army Painter Strong Tone (very similar to the old GW Devlan Mud), followed by a later wash that I refer to as a "shit wash" - it's a pot of greyish-brownish watered-down paint that I use to finish off the gravel/sand on my bases.
I hope this inspires some interesting ideas for basing! Comments and suggestions are most welcome - thank you for reading!